Another vegetarian recipe that's really not even a recipe - it's an assembly job. The key to 'assemblying' stuff to make one perfect food is to know how to marry things well into a perfect flavor combo, like this tomato, mushroom and olive tart. Once you get the hang of it, you can exchange and swap the toppings with whatever floats your boat; even some slice of cooked meat/chicken will be perfect.
This one is strictly vegetarian, though. Think meaty mushrooms, sweet caramelised tomatoes, salty olives and a burst of feta cheese here and there. I would highly recommend using caramelised onions as well, but if you're too lazy to care, it's okay. It will still be fabulous.
This will make for perfect tea, or served with a large salad, a filling dinner.
What You Need:
1 large square frozen puff pastry (I like the Pampas brand)
1 handful cherry tomatoes, halved
6-10 swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
5-6 black olives, pitted and sliced
Some feta cheese
Optional - caramelised onions (optional, but such a great addition), some beaten egg as eggwash, some sage or rosemary leaves
What You Do:
1, Preheat oven at 180 degrees for 20 mins.
2. Lay your puff pastry in a baking tray lined with baking paper. Make sure the pastry is at room temperature.
3. In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes and mushrooms with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
4. You will put the toppings on the puff pastry, but make sure to leave a 1-inch border around it. If you have the caramelised onions, spread it out on top of the pastry first as a base.
5. Arrange the mushrooms and tomatoes on the pastry. Make sure they are evenly distributed. Make sure the tomatoes are cut-side up, so that the juices doesn't flow right onto the pastry and make everything soggy.
6. Sprinkle the sliced olives. Finish with a dash of cracked black pepper over it, and crumble the feta cheese on top of everything. If you have the sage/rosemary leaves, sprinkle on top. They will get nice and crispy.
7. Take a fork, and press the edges of the pastry to make nice lines and show that you're an effortless pro. If you have an egg, egg wash the edges, although sometimes I don't even bother.
8. Into the over for about 20 mins, or until the edges are golden and the mushrooms look cooked.
9. Slice and devour.