I do like plain old regular scrambled eggs. But sometimes a Malay girl just needs a bit of a kick out of the usual American breakfast. I present to you a spicier, more flavourful version of Mexican Scrambled Eggs, recipe from the Nigella Express cookbook. Delicious for breakfast and ensures you get your vege hit for the day. Also great if you intend to finish some leftover tortilla wraps.
This portion serves two, and takes 5 minutes.
Here’s what you need:
1 tortilla wrap
4 fresh eggs
½ a red onion, chopped
1 red chili, or 1 small green chili depending on how spicy you want it
1 ripe tomato, cut into 1 cm chunks
Here’s what you do:
1. Heat 2 tbspn oil in a small pan. Roll up the tortilla wraps into a cigarette shape, and cut small pieces of it using scissors into the pan. What you’re doing is frying the small pieces to get some crunchy texture in the eggs.
2. When the tortilla bits are golden, remove from pan.
3. Add chopped onions into the pan.
4. Add the chili.
5. When the onion starts sweating, add the tomatoes.
6. Stir around until the tomatoes are soft and a bit watery.
7. Crack the eggs in a bowl, add salt. Mix.
8. Add the crunchy bits of tortilla back into the pan, then pour in the eggs.
9. After 20 second, turn the fire off. Keep stirring. I like my scrambled eggs a bit runny.
10. Serve immediately with a nice glass of juice.