I used to love KFC Chicken Nuggets. They were my favourite things from KFC, even more so than the fried chicken. One day, a healthy friend said to me, "why do you eat those things? They're made from cardboard and rat meat."
Upon research, I found this to be untrue. But holy moly, fast food chicken nuggets contain so much crap that they may as well be cardboard and rat meat. I no longer eat those delicious albeit poisonous KFC specialty, which means that sometimes, when they sky is grey and and I'm on my period, I start missing them very badly.
These homemade nuggets are natural, healthy and delicious, and they definitely help me move on from KFC. But of course they don't taste exactly like KFC chicken nuggets. There are no chicken skins, chicken bones or slabs of chicken fat in them.
This recipe makes enough nuggets for 3 people.
What You Need
300 grams chicken breast
A few florets of broccoli
1 clove garlic
3-4 tbsp polenta, plus more for coating
(WTF is Polenta? It's grounded dried corn. You can also substitute with breadcrumbs.)
What You Do
1. Using a food processor (get a food processor! It saves lives), blitz chicken until they become minced. Transfer to mixing bowl.
2. Blitz together broccoli, carrot, onion, and garlic. Add to mixing bowl.
3. Add egg, polenta, garlic powder, pepper and 1 tsp salt. Mix everything thoroughly.
4. Using wet hands, shape the mixture into nuggets. Refrigerate the ones you want to eat for at least 1 hour. Freeze the rest, for one of those later nights (you know they're coming).
5. When ready to eat, take them out of the fridge. Coat them with more polenta.
6. Shallow fry in some oil, until the outside is golden and crunchy. Remove onto some kitchen towels.
7. Eat with some ketchup, or a yogurt dip. Also, post them on Instagram. If there is no picture, then it's not real.