In 2019, one of my personal goals was to find my favourite banana bread recipe. At this age, some people think, “it’s time to have kids”, “it’s time to shift careers” or even “it’s time to buy a second home”. But for me, it was time to find THE banana bread. I love me some banana bread, but finding my favourite recipe has been quite a journey. Over the entire year, I tried no less than 5 different recipes, and here is the end result - the recipe that ticked all the boxes I was looking for; not too sweet, less flour-y, and maintains its moistness even after a day.
Tip 1: The bananas need to be ripe as shit. Ripe. As. Shit. Like almost blackened. This way, you’ll use less sugar and get better caramelization of the natural sugars in bananas.
Tip 2: Cover the cake with foil for the first 30 minutes of baking. This way, the top doesn’t dry up while making sure the cake is cooked through.
What You Need:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups mashed bananas
115 gm unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Greek yoghurt
What You Do:
1. Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees. Grease your banana bread loaf pan.
2. Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
3. In a mixer, beat butter and sugar for 4 minutes.
4. Add eggs. Then the yoghurt. Then the mashed bananas.
5. Stop the mixer. Add the dry ingredients. Mix everything, but don’t overmix it. It’s okay to have some lumps.
6. Transfer your batter into the loaf pan. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
7. Take off the foil and bake for another 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clear when you poke in the middle of it.
8. Eat warm, and if you feel deserving, eat with some butter too.