I love breakfast toasts! They are speedy and healthy and a great way to kickstart my day with a little bit of veg and good protein.
This particular version is very simple, yet also deeply savoury. Any bread will do, although I find that thick, crusty slices of sourdough or rye hold the topping well, and does not get too soggy too quickly. For the mushrooms, any type of your favourite mushrooms will do, although I prefer either oyster mushrooms and Portobello, as they have deeper flavour when browned.
Note: When making simple toasts such as this, it's the little things that make a big difference. The freshly cracked black pepper. The toasted bread. The browned edges of the mushrooms when cooked. They make a load of difference in your toast experience.
What You Need:
Slices of bread (I prefer thick and crusty sourdough)
2 handfuls of mushrooms of your choice, cleaned and sliced to grill
1 large clove of garlic, chopped
Some freshly cracked black pepper
A pinch of dried thyme
Hummus (buy, or get recipe HERE)
What You Do:
1. Get your bread toasted before you start making the mushrooms.
2. In a large flat pan with low heat, heat 2 tbsp olive oil, and add the mushrooms. Season with salt. Leave them be, don't touch them for at least 2 mins to ensure good browning.
3. Add thyme, and chopped garlic. Stir mushrooms around and make sure the garlic doesn't burn.
4. With your toast, spread a thick, hefty amount of hummus on top.
5. Remove mushrooms from heat, top your toast with them, and sprinkle over the cracked black pepper.
6. Eat at a sunny spot.