BROCCOLI, PEA & MINT SOUP
It's an extremely green soup made of extremely green things. But before you think 'Eww, so smushed up grass?', it really isn't. It's a concoction of beautiful greens of very different natures and tastes - nutty peas, earthy broccoli, sweet spinach and fragrant mint. I love this especially when I'm feeling under the weather, as I know I am getting all the nutrients I need from this bowl of goodness.
This soup is also perfect for batch cooking, and for freezing.
This recipe serves 2 portions.
What You Need:
extra virgin olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp chili flakes
200gm frozen green peas (NOT canned)
2 handfuls broccoli, cut into rough pieces
1 cube vegetable stock, or 1 cup
3 large handfuls spinach
1 large handful fresh mint
Optional: Chili oil for garnish
What You Do:
1. In a pot, heat 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, and sautee the chopped onion until they've turned transluscent. Add the chopped garlic and chili flakes, and continue stirring for 2 mins.
2. Add the frozen peas and broccoli, stir everything to cook through for about 5 minutes.
3. Add vegetable stock/cube, and add an additional cup of water. If using cube, add 2cups of water. Let simmer.
4. Once it has started to simmer, add your spinach and 2/3 of your mint, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the spinach has wilted. Season for taste, then turn off the heat and let cool.
5. When you're ready to eat, simply blend this mix, and heat again if necessary.
6. Ladle soup into a bowl, and garnish with the rest of the mint leaves, and some grated parmesan. If you're feeling extra, drizzle over some chili oil for that extra kick.