ASPARAGUS & BROCCOLI SOUP
I hate it when I buy asparagus, and the next thing I know I could only use half of it, because the lower half isn't tender enough to grill or eat right away. It's wasteful, and let's not mention how much asparagus cost in this side of the world.
The basic idea of making soups stemmed from the need to use knobs and ends of produce lying around the house. Back in the day, soups are the solution to not waste anything - slow cooking something in a broth has the ability to soften and tenderize almost everything. So why not include asparagus ends?
I love this broccoli and asparagus soup because it's easy to make, consists of 3 out of my 5 daily veggie requirement, and I can make a large batch to freeze. I am, in fact, a self-proclaimed frozen-soup-and-pasta-sauce lady. You don't want to make it vegan, you can use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock, and add a splash of cream at the end, too.
What You Need:
3 large celery sticks, roughly chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
3 springs of thyme leaves (dried will also be ok)
1 tsp cracked black pepper
200 grams asparagus, chopped (I always use the starchier ends!)
200 grams broccoli, cut into small florets
1 litre vegetable stock (you can use chicken stock too)
What You Do:
1. In a large, heavy bottomed pot, heat 2 tbsp olive oil with medium heat. Add the celery and onion with a pinch of salt, and cook until transluscent.
2. Add garlic powder, black pepper and thyme, and stir until fragrant. Add the asparagus and cook for 2 mins. Add broccoli, and cook for another 3 mins.
3. Add the vegetable stock and bring to boil. Once it boils, lower the heat and simmer for 10 mins. Then set aside to cool.
4. Once it has cooled anough for you to manage, pour it into a blender (maybe in batches, if you dont want splutter), and whizz until smooth.
5. To serve, it's great just as is, or you can add some croutons, another drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some cracked black pepper on top.
6. If you plan to freeze some, it can last up to a month in the freezer.